Joseph E. Cordell
Senior Partner & Founder
Licenses and Admissions
Mr. Cordell is licensed in Missouri and Illinois.
Joseph E. Cordell is a dually licensed attorney-certified public accountant and the Senior Partner and Founder of Cordell Planning Partners, a St. Louis-based elder care law firm dedicated to protecting seniors.
For the last three decades, Mr. Cordell has been practicing family law. Through his firm, Cordell & Cordell, he has represented men facing divorce and become a partner they can count on.
“When I went to law school, I imagined myself practicing in areas related to family law and personal planning,” said Mr. Cordell. “My firm was originally opened as a general practice firm, but what emerged over those early years was the emphasis on representing men facing divorce.
I had very strong feelings about how men were treated during a divorce, so that became my passion and focus for the last 25 years. I regard that as a wonderful investment, but I wanted to come back to my original focus of helping individuals through the challenges they face, particularly as they age.”
These issues have become immediate to Mr. Cordell as he has grown older and watched his family age. He realized through this process how critical future planning is for seniors and how vulnerable they are to irrevocable mistakes.
“I have a totally different perspective on family planning than I did as a younger man,” Mr. Cordell said. “Not only was I watching my family age, but the men I have represented for years are entering their senior years, returning to us with questions surrounding elder law and estate planning. I wanted to move forward with continuity of care and to be the trusted partner to our clients and their families through these critical moments in their lives.”
Cordell Planning Partners is the next step in Mr. Cordell’s journey of partnering with people during critical times and remaining their trusted advisor.
He received his B.S. in Accountancy from Oklahoma State University and his Juris Doctor from the University of Texas School of Law.
Mr. Cordell is a graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy and holds a Missouri CPA license. He also received his LL.M. from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. and is a VA accredited attorney.
Mr. Cordell was recognized by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys for his exceptional performance in family law by naming him one of the 10 Best Family Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction in Missouri in 2015 and 2016.
He also is a member of the following organizations:
- Missouri Society of CPAs: The premier provider of continuing education for CPAs in Missouri.
- National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates: An organization that provides support and organization for the private bar representing veterans in their disability claims against VA.
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys: A nonprofit association with the mission to educate, inspire, serve, and provide the senior community attorneys with a practice area in elder and special needs law.
- Lawyers With Purpose: An association of lawyers devoted to meeting the asset protection, estate planning, and other needs of seniors across America.
- American Bar Association: A national association of attorneys committed to serving members, improving the legal profession, eliminating bias and enhancing diversity, and advancing the rule of law throughout the United States and around the world.
- American Institute of CPAs: The world’s largest member association representing the accounting profession.
In 2019, Mr. Cordell was named an honoree of the 2019 ICON Award from Missouri Lawyers Weekly for his notable and sustained success and leadership both within and beyond the field of law. The ICON Awards are presented to distinguished attorneys ages 60 and older in recognition of their exemplary careers and longstanding commitment to the Missouri legal community. Click here to learn more about the ICON Awards.
- Joe Cordell Discusses Elder Law, Estate Planning on Today’s Issues
- KMOX AM 1120 in St. Louis on Cordell Planning Partners workshops, elder law